Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Pruning The Shrub

By overwhelming margins, both the US House and Senate voted to override President Bushy's veto of the Medicare Reform Bill (HR 6331). The Shrub suffered perhaps his most significant pruning yet on this one, as seniors, doctors and mental health advocates apparently flooded congress members' offices with mail and voice messages urging the override. I was a bit concerned after The Shrub followed through with his veto threat. You just never know what's going to happen in DC, you know what I mean?
Thankfully, the concern was unwarranted. I am extremely relieved this bill is now law! Doctors will be paid. Private insurers, who have been overpaid for years, will have their payments lowered. And most importantly, people like me with mental illness will now be covered equally! We won't be totally "phased in" to equal insurance coverage until 2014, but at least the long-standing, discriminatory 50% coverage will finally become extinct. Thank God!

In fact, I'm so happy--Let's sing!

2 comments:

Bradley said...

I'm joining you in the chorus. It is a beautiful thing, indeed.

Texaco said...

OMG I love Schoolhouse Rock!!!!! Remember at the end of the ‘Interjections!” episode, when Franklin found he had the ball? He made the connection in the other direction and the crowd started shouting out interjections?

I really, really, really want, for years now, a t-shirt with that little nerdy guy with the pennant that says, “Hooray! I’m for the other team.” I’ve gone as far as to say “Generally set apart from a sentence by an exclamation point.” in the bio section on my chat profile on gay.com .

Nobody thought it was funny.

What is WRONG with those people? I know I’m totally off topic. Whatever. You’re right, it was a fantastic victory. Of course my representatives wrote back to me saying that they were choosing to ignore me as their constituent. One was actually pretty rude.

But the real gem of all this was the Schoolhouse Rock link. Thank you SOOOOO much!

Very truly yours,
Interplanet Janet
(Galaxy Girl)



.