Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, October 3, 2008

The Funeral

I went to the funeral. Thank you to those who offered advice. You were right. After the wake last night, I wasn't sure I needed to attend today. I dressed appropriately, just in case, and drove to my class early this morning. From the moment I entered the class, I knew I would be leaving in two hours to drive back to Jeannie's funeral. It was crystal clear. A class meant nothing in comparison to saying goodbye to my close friend. So, I said goodbye with a few hundred others, balled my eyes out, gave and received a lot of hugs, laughed through tears, ate ham and scalloped potatoes, and then drove the 1.5 hours back to my class. I am so glad I went.

The service was beautiful. The priest captured Jeannie perfectly, exhorting us all to follow her example and give, give, give. In doing so, we allow Jeannie to continue living through each of us. He captured her wit, magnetism, self-sacrifice, and generosity. I am so grateful to have known her.

One last tidbit: I've told you how amazing this woman was. Here's an example. When her doctor told her she had inoperable, terminal cancer just two months ago, Jeannie got up, said, "I love you," and then gave her doctor a hug. She was a role model of recovery, acceptance, and living well. I can't even imagine that response!

Jeannie, I will miss you.

1 comment:

mfranks said...

I am happy you got to go to the funeral. It was your last chance to say good bye. You would have regretted that you missed that.



.