Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, October 11, 2008

I did it!

I was so anxious about my 20-miler today, I woke up at 3:30 AM! I relaxed and went back to sleep, but I was out on the road by six 0'clock. The morning could not have been more beautiful. I started in the dark and quiet of a city still asleep. The first 4 miles were a little tough. I couldn't catch my breath and was winded despite a slow, relaxed pace. I took a break and downed an energy gel at 4.5 miles. It was like a new day after that. I guess I needed that energy.

The rest of the way went by without much difficulty. A little lag here and there, and of course the last two miles are always long, but after 3.5 hours (3:05 of actual running), I was done. Even my sore right leg fared well today. I purchased a compression sleeve for it yesterday, but I was quite surprised it felt as good as it did. Once done, I got into my ice bath, watched some football, and here I am. I'm feeling good.

Running always surprises me. Days I think are going to be terrific sometimes aren't. Days I expect to be brutal are often a breeze. It is such a strange sport that way. Or perhaps it's just me. I've had a tendency to do well when the odds have been stacked against me and to fall flat when the odds were in my favor.

Hmmm...that's an interesting revelation. Is that a corollary of my life--with vs. without depression? Damn, I'm going to have to do some deep thinking about that one. Maybe on my next run...

1 comment:

Jackal said...

Well done!! That is a great achievement!



.