Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, October 10, 2008

Post DNF let-down...

I'm having a hard time resuming my training since the Twin Cities Marathon debacle last Sunday. I'm tired...sleepy tired and just-want-to-sit-on-my-butt-and-do-nothing tired. My right shin is really, really sore. I had it x-rayed today to make sure I don't have a stress fracture, but I don't know when I'll learn the results.
If I had finished the marathon last Sunday, one of the biggest benefits would have been the rest following the race. Marathon training tears at my mind and body. I'm used to racing with some sort of ache or pain, but I wasn't planning on continuing hard training after race day. The race was supposed to be the crescendo after the long build-up. I was looking forward to the rest and the healing.
Instead, I need to get right back into more 40+ mile weeks and run an 18-20 miler tomorrow if I want to run another marathon in 4 weeks. So, that's what I'm planning to do. What happens tomorrow may determine if I can attempt another race in November, or if I'd be more sane to wait until December. I don't know if my mind or right leg will allow the required training or long runs.
I do know this. I'm not looking forward to running 18-20 miles tomorrow. It's hard enough to run 20-mile training runs when I'm excited! Running one when I'm filled with dread sounds really tough. Wish me luck. I'll let you know what happens.

No comments:



.