Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

40 days, and no ark in site!

It’s day two of my personal revolution. We’re talking yoga, journaling, food diary, meditation, water, and more yoga! For some reason, I decided it would be a grand idea to sign up for this intensive course, which is being offered through The Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center–the health club associated with my employer. Just for chuckles, following is the opportunity which I just couldn’t pass up!

**Yoga from 5:10-6:10 AM every Monday through Friday and 7:00 AM on Saturdays.
**Studying the book, “40 Days to a Personal Revolution.”
**Completing the very personal journaling assignments in the book and as instructed.
**Meditating for at least 10 minutes twice per day.
**Writing down every single thing I put into my mouth throughout each day.
**Drinking at least 64 ounces of water per day.
**No eating at all after dinner each night.
**Performing 40 leg lifts every single night.
**Performing at least 30 minutes of yoga on my own every Sunday.

I’ve made it to yoga–and just so we’re clear this is not gentle yoga–the last two mornings. Getting up at 4:20 AM is quite a major adjustment to my routine! Getting up, performing yoga, and then working a full day is an even bigger adjustment! Committing to anything this significant? Unheard of since the onset of my illness. But I committed, so I am going to try my best.

I think I will appreciate the focus on my eating, which I tend to do mindlessly and without regard to portion size. Writing down what I’m putting into my body should help me make better, and smaller, choices. My physical and mental well-being should improve as my eating improves.

I know I will appreciate the yoga. Strengthening, flexibility, balance and stability are the tenets of yoga and the foundation of better running. I look forward to my running improving with my body over the next 40 days.

Meditation is the tough one. I hate it. Ten minutes is a long, long time in this anxious, thoughtful brain! Ten minutes twice per day? Ugh! I made it 5 minutes once yesterday. If I come through this able to meditate, we’ll have to consider it a miracle! There could be no better endorsement for this program than that!

I’ll keep you all updated as I go along. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

etta said...

I've placed a link to the "40 Days" book in the right sidebar.



.