Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, March 13, 2009

A sleep study

A sleep study--that's what my doc and I decided today. We were discussing my increasing fatigue. Of course, I want it to be caused by anything other than depression! (Something fixable, please!!!)
I inquired about sleep apnea after noting a couple recent experiences. While napping I've been nearly awakened by my own gasping for breath. The gasping was accompanied by significant anxiety--the kind of anxiety you feel when you can't breathe. The gasping-anxiety cycle repeated until I finally woke up, frustrated and unrested. Fortunately, there is a sleep expert in my psychiatrist's office, so I will be having a sleep study soon. Is it wrong to wish for a diagnosis???

1 comment:

The Real Gal said...

Thank you for sharing this post, although I can relate to the lack of sleep at this time for me, I know it has a lot to do with me now processing the stuff of my past!



.