Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Child's Play

The scooter crashed to the ground once he abandoned it. Just moments before he was racing down the path, his push foot flying forward and back. He couldn't have been more than eight. I slowed my car to see what had so urgently caught his eye. I assumed he was running toward something quite intriguing. I was surprised when he stopped at a simple sign beside the path. No Motorized Vehicles Allowed on Path--that was his aim. I watched with amusement as he jumped, and jumped, and jumped, each time tapping the top of the sign, just because he could. Apparently pleased with his success, he returned to his scooter and resumed racing down the path.

I smiled as he retreated from view. What a simple lesson, I thought. Stop, notice the small stuff, and create success. Whether it's tapping the top of a sign or getting out of bed today, anything can be defined as success. Does life have to be more complicated than that?

No comments:



.