Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, April 20, 2009

Go Kara Go!

In a few hours, a woman I watched win local races as a girl will line up with a very real chance to win the Boston Marathon. It's been many years since an American woman won this historic race, and I'm quite certain a native Minnesotan has never won it--although Dick Beardsley came awful close. So I'm rooting for Kara Goucher today. She's worked her butt off, stayed healthy, and deserves every success she achieves.

Go, Kara, go! Win Boston!

4 comments:

SK said...

So, who won?

etta said...

Kara finished third, only 9 SECONDS out of first. It was the closest finish in Boston Marathon history. Salina Kosgei of Kenya beat Dire Tune of Ethiopia by ONE SECOND. Goucher led for much of the last 6 miles, but Kosgei and Tune pulled in front with less than one mile to go. All three women sprinted the last 200 meters to the finish. It was very exciting, although Goucher was very disappointed.

SK said...

I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to lose something that you've prepared for so hard by a mere second!! I'd be devastated...but then I don't handle disappointments and failures well anyway.

Can the finish be viewed somewhere online?

etta said...

I agree! 26.2 miles...and only one second between 'em!
I'm not sure if the finish is out there, but I'd think it would be. Perhaps if you google it...



.