Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, April 18, 2009

a long 18, biking, and my mood

Eighteen miles today. It was a long 18 miles. My legs were tired from a good, quick week of running. I knew it was going to be a long day when I felt tired within the first five miles. Puck pooped out around ten, so I dropped him at home, took a bit of a break and then continued. I purposely put myself far from my home for miles 13-16 because I knew those would be really tough. They were, and I had no choice but to run them. I finished with my usual ice bath--yes, ice bath, as in a tub full of cold water and ice. I really needed it today. Now I've got my eyes on some chocolate!

In other news: I bought a triathlon bike. Holy cow, what an expensive sport! I bought the bike on ebay, so that saved me at least $1000. However, the pedals cost $100--ebay again--and the shoes look like another 100 bucks! Plus, I had to have it assembled at the local bike shop. You guessed it, $100! I will have to have it fit to me, another $100, and I haven't even begun to shop for those expensive tight shorts yet! Yikes! I hope it was all worth it. I practically have to try a triathlon now! I'm looking forward to getting out on the road.

My mood has continued to stay strong. It's nice to see my doc and not have much to say. That's been quite a switch for me. I'm not waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm just staying in each moment and enjoying the relative calm. Like I said, it's been nice. I hope each of you are having similar calm today!

1 comment:

Polar Bear said...

Yeah, triathlon bikes sure cost a lot of money. I've only ever done mini triathlons and I never had a proper road bike for them. I really do hate watching people whiz by me on my clunky heavy mountain bike.



.