Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Warning: This story should outrage you!

With depraved indifference to the very patients they were supposed to care for, Los Angeles' College Hospital has dumped more than 150 mentally ill patients on skid row streets over the past two years. After discharging them, the hospital loaded these people into vans and drove them more than 40 miles into L.A.'s dangerous downtown area.

The case came to light after they dumped Steven Davis, a man suffering from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, in front of the Union Rescue Mission. The mission, which has 'anti-dumping cams' out front, complained to the hospital. The hospital van returned, picked up Mr. Davis and deposited him a few miles away instead.

Can you imagine this happening to people with any other type of illness???

In a settlement announced yesterday, College Hospital agreed to pay $1.6 million in fines and charitable contributions to psychiatric and social service agencies. They also agreed to no longer dump patients onto skid row. Unbelievable.

I would have preferred to see them fire the person or persons in charge of this scheme. How about sitting them down in a room full of previously dumped patients? Force them listen, quietly, for as long as it takes. That might make a dent in their insensitive, criminal skulls. One would hope...

No comments:



.