Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Burying my friend

We finally had the opportunity to bury my friend, Stan, yesterday. He died several states away a few months ago, the victim of alcoholism. It was a nice service performed in the very church in which he was baptized. After the service, his ashes were buried in the family plot right across the street. I finally got to say goodbye.

The church was filled to the rafters with fellow alcoholics, which made communion interesting! (Don't worry, Stan would have loved that observation.) Stan had an impact on everyone he met. He had a kind heart, a great sense of humor, and a generous soul. If only he could have stayed sober. Burying him yesterday made his death real and reignited my sadness. He's really gone. I miss him. I miss him a lot.

Rest in peace, Stan.

No comments:



.