Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

And so I slept, I guess.

The technician told me I slept really well. I only know that I woke up several times feeling as if I was suffocating from the C-PAP machine. Forced air rushing from the machine into my nose made exhaling very difficult. Eventually, my nose got so stuffy I was actually suffocating. I stopped the sleep study at that point, which was 5:00 AM this morning. The technician insisted I slept really well.

Perhaps she's right. After all, I'm still awake. After the first study, without the C-PAP, I came home and went to bed. I don't feel the need to go to bed now, so perhaps I did sleep better. I'm not sure about wearing a C-PAP every night, though, as my general impression was that I was uncomfortable. Then again, if C-PAP is the cure to my fatigue, the choice to use it will become quite simple.

I'm glad the testing is done, and I'm looking forward to discussing everything with my doc later this week. Nothing to do now but wait for the results. I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

SK said...

Sounds like you might have finally found out what was causing you to be tired! Yay!!

-SK

heartreflections said...

I wonder if its all a trap to get us on these machines! I visited my sleep doctor yesterday to set up my sleep study. Did you ever try provigil?

SK said...

Isn't Provigil for keeping oneself awake and alert?

-SK

SK said...

I mean, how does it help with the sleep apnea?

-SK

etta said...

Yes, I have used provigil. It is used to help battle fatigue and sleepiness. I used it for a couple years. It did seem to help, however, as I previously discussed in this blog, I quit using it last December. I quit using it because one of the main side effects I experienced was an increased heart rate. That really, really screwed up my running. Running has become much easier again, which helps my depression, so I'm satisfied with my decision. Other than the increased resting heart rate I had no trouble with the medication, and like I said, it did seem to help.

etta said...

The post in which I discuss Provigil more in depth is called, The Tired and Sleepy Dilemma, dated 9/10/08.



.