Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Art for Mental Health

I attended an art show associated with Mental Health Awareness Month tonight. It was at our local art center, and the art was created by people affected by mental illness. Three of the six pieces I entered made it into the show. It was humbling to see my work hanging among beautiful pieces created by others affected with mental illness.

Standing in a room filled with art created by people like me was amazing. We are a creative bunch! Some of the art was profound in it's simplicity. Other pieces were telling for their cacophony of shapes and colors. There were depictions of journeys through pain and isolation as well as healing and celebration. Our artwork was as variable as our symptoms can be. It was powerful. I hope many people will get to see it.

This is one of my pieces, called Winter Waterfall, which made it into the show.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Etta -

Congratulations on being in the show, that's fantastic!

As with many other areas, it's so glaringly obvious that painting is one of your God-given talents. When life is seeming crazy, remember your gift. The majority of the world isn't near as fortunate in that regard.

Wow.

-Chris

etta said...

Thank you, Chris.
I will remember that.
etta

Jason said...

I am by trade a counselor although I don't currently practice. I think that running is extremely healthy for my mental wellbeing.

SK said...

Is there any way you can posy a bigger version of this piece online?

-SK

etta said...

SK-
I could, I think, although I worry about people illegally copying it. Can you tell me why you want the larger version? Perhaps we can work something out.

SK said...

More out of sheer curiosity than anything else! The current one, I feel, is too small to be view online.

-SK



.