Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Miles

I've put on some running and biking miles recently. I ran 15 miles today. It was cold and very windy--not at all like a May day should be, so it was a rough run. My hip, however, felt okay. Good news. It's a bit sore now, but it does feel better than I thought it might.

I rode my new bike for the first time a couple days ago. Figuring I'd fall over at stop lights, I headed out on a local trail instead. No stoplights. No cars. Very few people. I rode 27 miles. It was weird riding in that low, aerodynamic position. I couldn't get used to barely being able to see 30 feet in front of me. I kept lifting my head to get a broader view and ended up with a really sore neck. In fact, it's still sore today! I had a complete fitting, so it's not a case of the bike not fitting well. If any of you ride a tri bike, I'd love to know how you got used to it.

Back to running now; for those of you who've followed the discussion accompanying my post, Having Imprudent Running Thoughts, I've made the decision not to run the inagural Minneapolis Marathon later this month. As much as I'd like to participate, I decided not to run for a couple reasons. First, the marathon course appears to be fairly hilly. I'm not sure I want to put my legs through a hilly course only 3 weeks before my goal race at Grandma's. Secondly, I know myself too well. I don't think I could run in a race and not race. I'd certainly run too fast and spoil my chances to qualify for Boston at Grandma's. Maybe I'll run a foolish marathon a few weeks after Grandma's instead!

As for my mood...still okay. Yippee!

No comments:



.