Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, May 4, 2009

Mothers and Daughters

My mom is back in town. She and my step-dad are full-time RV'ers. Counting a couple months last summer, this is only the second time since I was 12 we've been in the same zip code. It's strange. We get along better now than we ever have, but that still isn't all that great sometimes. But it is nice to have her nearby.

It's strange to have her nearby, yet it's nice. For one thing, she's a waaaay better cook than I am. Of course, that's not difficult. Anyone who actually cooks is a better cook than I am! I do like to drop by right around dinner time. My step-dad is cool, too. He and I have a lot in common. We share the depression diagnosis, so sometimes he gets what I'm saying more clearly than my mom. That's helpful.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say here...maybe I'm just figuring out (out loud) how to live so close to my mom. For example, I want to invite her to things I'm doing, like races, art shows, and softball games. Then, just when I'm ready to invite her, I change my mind, or I feel less certain about wanting her there. It's weird. I guess that's one to present to my psychologist, huh?

So my mom is on the way over here. We're going to eat dinner. And I don't know why I just wrote all this...I guess I'll have to figure that out with my therapist, too. Have a lovely evening.

No comments:



.