Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Support a runner supporting orphans

What would it be like to live in a walled compound...as a child...without parents...or even another person who cared? That was the question one talented, fortunate, local runner faced while volunteering over Christmas break at Puericultorio Perez Aranibar (P.P.A.) orphanage in Lima, Peru. As a result of his experience, local runner Mike T. decided to do something. Being a runner, it makes sense he decided on a solitary trek across Minnesota to raise money for these children.

In his letter to potential contributors, Mike states, "My conviction to sponsor the children of P.P.A. in their college education was catalyzed by an anonymous quote read by a fellow volunteer: 'Because I have been given much, I too must give.' From this conviction, the idea for the Great Transversal of Minnesota slowly crystallized: I would apply my passion for endurance sports towards raising scholarship funds for the orphans and hence transfer some of my abundant opportunity to the underprivileged orphans of P.P.A. On June 6th, I will begin a 400-mile, 7-day trip across Minnesota. Travel from the North Shore of Lake Superior to Rochester will be solely human powered, involving kayaking, swimming, biking, rollerskiing, and running. My goal is to raise $5,000 dollars in sponsorship. All funds will be donated toward college scholarships for the orphans. ...the adventure will begin with kayaking in Lake Superior and will finish when I run the final 20 miles into Rochester, my hometown."

I can't imagine not having the freedom to run whenever and wherever I please, living within the confines of four walls, or surviving without family and friends. I salute Mike for turning his passion into an opportunity for those less fortunate. Please join me in sponsoring Mike.

No comments:



.