Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, June 13, 2009

And she spoke...

Tonight was the big night. I spoke at my AA home group tonight. I was so nervous it was rather ridiculous. I spent more hours than I care to admit typing up my life's path this afternoon, but I'm glad I did. Being prepared helped tonight.

I think it went well. I was anxious about talking about depression in conjunction with my AA talk, but I did it anyway and received a lot of very positive feedback for doing so. I also gave a shout out to my mental health treatment team. Psychiatrists and psychologists are often derided by hardcore AA'ers who think AA should cure everything that ails us. Again, I received a lot of positive feedback from others who admitted to using "outside help." So it was a success, and I'm relieved.

It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, and the positive feedback felt really good. Like I said, I'm relieved. I'm so grateful to have found a community of wonderful, sober, healthy and fun people. I never would have thought any of this possible just a few short years ago. If you're struggling with alcohol, I encourage you to seek help. If I can do it, anybody can.

1 comment:

Just Be Real said...

Good for you! I know it can be hard speaking and sharing among individuals your struggles. I too have that problem with my group. Blessings dear one.



.