Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, June 1, 2009

Let there be Light

Ahhh... June.

Driving home at 10PM tonight, the western sky was still a subtle, golden-orange. This is one beauty of living so far north. We may suffer through the darkness of winter, but June brings the longest days, and therefore more light, than any other time of year. Long days begin with first light around 5AM and don't end until, well, apparently after 10PM. Driving home under tonight's still glowing sky reminded me how grateful I am for the light.

I've never been diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), but my brighter mood over the past couple of brighter months makes me wonder. I definitely have been feeling better than I ever did over the long, dark winter, and this isn't the first year I've noticed that fact. I frequently use a SAD light in the winter, but there seems to be no substitute for good 'ole sunshine. I'll be celebrating June's long days, and hopefully my better mood, until at least June 21st--the day the darkness begins settling in again.

No comments:



.