Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, July 27, 2009

assignments

If it hadn't been for the assignment, I know I wouldn't have gotten out the door. I went for a 33 minute run/walk this evening. It was very, very slow, but I went. I went despite a hellish-ly long and busy day at work. I went despite collapsing on my bed and immediately falling asleep as soon as I got home. My dog, Puck, finally woke me up 2 hours later. If he hadn't had to pee, I might still be asleep. But since he got me up, instead of sleep I slowly ran and walked for 33 minutes.

My therapist gave me an assignment last week. Actually, she gave me a couple tasks in an effort to get me out of my house and back on track. The first assignment was to contact Renee and set up our running date. I did that. The even more difficult task was to exercise at least 30 minutes per day. That was the assignment on my mind tonight as I stumbled around my house in a sleepy stupor. It was putting a check in that box on my calendar, the one labeled 30 minutes of exercise, that got me out the door. Simple.

Why is it something as simple as checking a box can get us to accomplish things we wouldn't or couldn't otherwise do? Being held accountable, I think, is exactly what I needed. I was tired, groggy, and sore, but I exercised so I could put a check in my box. It worked. Thanks, Deb.

No comments:



.