Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Keeping the schedule


Things are coming around. I'm slowly feeling better. I think the assignments my therapist gave me are a large part of this healing process. I've written out two schedules. On one schedule I've got boxes to check if I've done 30 minutes of exercise, taken Puck out for his exercise, and if I've avoided chocolate for the day. Oh yah, I've given up chocolate for awhile. When I feel mentally bad, I tend to over-indulge in the yummy stuff, and then I end up feeling worse! So I get a star if I've made it through the day without devouring chocolate. So far, so good. In fact, knowing I've got boxes to check every night seems to be helping me stay on track and feel better.

The other schedule I've started is a running schedule. I'm thinking about doing The Richmond Marathon in November. I'm following a Runner's World training program rather than using my own--less thinking for me. I haven't yet decided if I am going to actually run the marathon, but I figure having the schedule will help get me out the door and focus my training. It's only been two days, but so far the schedule has nudged me forward. It's working.

I don't necessarily like having a regimented, scheduled life. However, right now it seems to be what I need. Being accountable to my therapist and myself, physically putting the check in the box, and having someone else tell me what to do (i.e. the running schedule) seems to take a little stress out of my day. It's a good thing. I guess I'll keep keeping the schedules for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES !!

Way to go, Etta. You get through by putting one foot in front of the other - way to go, gal.

-Chris



.