Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, August 3, 2009

Another marathon

I've decided to run another marathon. I signed up to run the Richmond Marathon in Richmond, Virginia on November 14th. I'm officially in my second week of training. I was right. The Women's Race I ran a couple weeks ago did jump start my training. Following The Runner's World training program, rather than creating my own, has also been helpful. This way, I can just run whatever the schedule tells me to run--no thinking required! I've also reduced the long-term stress by printing out only one week of the schedule at a time. Training for a marathon is daunting. Focusing on only one week at a time has made it much less so. I think I'm off to a decent start. I'm really tired, of course, but that makes sense. It is much nicer to be tired as a result of running than it is to be tired as a result of depression!

Join me in Richmond, won't you? I'll be the one with 'etta' emblazoned across my chest.

1 comment:

Soma said...

Good luck on the up coming marathon, hope you do well on it. I was thinking of taking up running, but I don't think my knee will hold.

Have fun on the race. :)



.