Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Bread and Jam

My friend, Renee, in her continuing quest to domesticate me, invited me to make bread and jam with her yesterday. Renee enjoys cooking, baking, and eating. I enjoy only one of those three, and it isn't either of the first two! Nevertheless, I took her up on the offer, as I figured eating may be involved! That's me, using all of my Girl Scout skills, measuring flour and mixing dough.Renee had to teach me how to knead the dough, which I confess may come in handy the next time my depression has me frustrated. That dough would be no match for a disgruntled etta!

While the dough rose, we made blueberry jam. It was another foray into domestication I never thought I'd take. It turns out making jam is not nearly as difficult as I imagined, although one does need the correct tools.
Stirring boiling blueberries...even I could do that!

Pouring boiled blueberries into jars...hmmm, really not so tough. Look at those delicate hands work!
After about three hours, Renee let me take home this beautiful loaf of bread and 4 jars of blueberry jam. Ummmm, ummm good! Thanks, Renee!

No comments:



.