Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, August 24, 2009

Making connections

A cool thing has been happening lately. At each of the last three races I've run, friends, acquaintances, and even a couple of strangers have approached me to tell me they've been reading my blog and/or to talk about depression. It's always nice to hear from people who read my blog, although I am always surprised when someone tells me they do. Insecurity shining through, I guess.

Despite my surprise, it's very gratifying to know my words are circulating. It's most gratifying to hear from people who otherwise rarely discuss their struggles with mental illness. That was, after all, the original intent of this blog--to create a safe space for people with mental illness, to educate others about mental illness, and to reduce the stigma and isolation of mental illness.

The funny thing is, as readers comment here or introduce themselves in public, I am the one who benefits! I wanted to decrease your isolation, yet I am the one feeling less isolated. So thank you, readers, for your comments, your discussions, and your words of encouragement. You have a far greater impact on my mental health than you will ever know.

No comments:



.