Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Spending time with others

Unusual day today. I went golfing, which was unusual. I hadn't golfed in two years. But even more unusual, I went golfing with three other women. I don't generally spend time with other people. It was strange to be out of my house all day, and even stranger to be out of my house with others.

You see, I'm a bit of a loner. I'm okay being by myself. Don't get me wrong, I like people, but people are complicated. People are social. People are exhausting. People require energy expenditure. Since my depression began, I've typically decided to expend my limited energy elsewhere. It's easier in so many ways to be alone.

But today I wasn't alone, and it was nice. Maybe this is another sign things are going well. I made plans. I didn't end up dreading the plans. I followed through with my plans, and I had fun. Hmmm...interesting.

1 comment:

Mohican said...

Love this post. Sartre wrote "Hell is other people" but occasionally it is good to be with people. Big problem is that many times it's the wrong people. Nothing wrong with being a loner.



.