Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, September 21, 2009

dream with me

Live music blares
speakers
the size of buildings
the football stadium rocks

Cheers deafen
as another group
finishes the walk

Memorial placards
honor loved ones
Their journey over
years too soon

Survivors are noted
by silver t-shirts
and even some caps

Rather than scorn
ridicule
and fear
those survivors are welcomed
loved
slapped on the back

Long gone
the days
when mental illness
meant suffering
alone

Corporate sponsors
local businesses
moms, dads, grandmas, and kids
proudly participate

Thousands
of people
Millions
of dollars

The walk
is a smashing success
Eventually
mental illness
will surely be cured

2 comments:

little sheep said...

depression marathon sounds really cool!!!

Milli said...

very touching. Well done on your battle against depression! did you find that running re-invigorated you or it sapped out your energy? x



.