Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fear of the run, ride, run

So I got myself a tri bike this spring with the thought of one day trying a triathlon--maybe. I'm not a great swimmer, and I'm a little afraid of the water, so the swimming portion of the tri scares me. With that in mind, you'd think I would jump at the chance to try a duathlon, right? Well, apparently not.

You see, there is a duathlon (run, ride, run) right here in my back yard this Saturday. It is a 3.3 mile run, followed by a 21.6 mile ride, followed by another 3.3 mile run. The distances aren't overwhelming. I know how to run. I know how to ride my bike. What is the problem?

The problem is I'm afraid. I don't know why! It's silly. Why am I afraid to try this? Yes, I've never done this before. Yes, it would be uncomfortable being a newbie. Yes, like most people, I do not find bike shorts particularly attractive. So I'm afraid because I'd have to run 6.6 miles in big-butt bike shorts? I guess so...

I'm writing this here in hopes of inspiration. I hope to be so embarrassed by my fear that it will force me to confront it. After all, I really don't have a good reason to be afraid. Doing a duathlon would be new. It would be different. I wouldn't be a comfy veteran of the sport. I guess those are all reasons for my fear, but I don't think they are particularly good reasons. I should do the duathlon despite my fears, big-butt bike shorts and all...right?

3 comments:

heartreflections said...

Do it! You'll love it! You be so pumped during the transitions - it will get you wanting to try a tri!

Jill said...

YES YES YES DO IT! Moving out of your comfort zone means growing! I would love to hear about it!!!

Mohican said...

You can't let us down now! Use the same mental prep you used when you went running but didn't want to. Think of this as a run with a new twist you might really like. Keep your expectations like "Rocky" - just go the distance.



.