Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Medication vs. The Supplement

So you all know about my long-term battle with fatigue and my more recent concern with weight gain. Both depression symptoms significantly and negatively impact my running. I am tremendously satisfied to report to you that I feel better. I am less fatigued, and I've lost some weight. Running is becoming fun again. I began taking a new supplement a couple weeks ago, and I think I have the supplement to thank for these changes.

I already buy, use and love this company's juice. (Actually, I became a distributor in order to get the juice cheaper.) Their juice totally solved my IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). They came out with this supplement several months ago, but being a skeptic--despite my success with their juice--I waited, and waited, and waited. A million positive testimonials later, I finally took the plunge and decided to try it. Well, I'm no longer a skeptic.

I'm no longer a skeptic because the supplement seems to work. I took the company's 'vigor' test, and after two weeks on this supplement my 'vigor' score rose from a 7 to an 18. I can't believe the difference in how I feel. I really can't. After discussion with my psychiatrist (let me repeat that: after discussion with my psychiatrist) I discontinued the anti-fatigue med I've felt so ambivalent about taking. Yes, the anti-fatigue med is now gone. Even without that med, I feel more alert and energetic throughout my day. I've lost a couple pounds, and most importantly, my running has improved. My training runs have been quicker and easier. It's all rather surprising to a skeptic.

I'm still waiting to see if the results will last. I mean, I've been battling this fatigue for 3-4 years. I've been battling weight gain for at least 2 years. It will be a very pleasant surprise, and rather ironic, if the answer turns out to be a simple supplement. I certainly hope to continue feeling the way I feel today. It's such a relief! I'll keep you updated on my progress.

3 comments:

Val said...

Hello, Etta - your blog title caught my eye in the sidebar of F-word...
These days my antidepressant of choice is aerobic exercise (been suffering thru recurrent bouts of plantar fascitis, but I can still work the elliptical - hope to build up to my usual slow runs again!) - but I have been tweaking my diet. Currently restarting a marine-vegetable supplement called Body Balance, but anyway I thought it was interesting when I took the "Vigor" test, my score was also 7.

Aan lee said...

Hello, Etta ,my wife have mental health problem.she has paranoid schizophrenia until 10 year ago.can you give me the solution for good medicine for my wife ?.my wife often consumption anti depresan pil.thanks

etta said...

I'm sorry Aan. I don't have a solution for you. I suggest you talk at length with your wife's pyschiatrist about her condition. If that's not possible or satisfying, perhaps there is a support group in your community, like the NAMI groups here in the U.S. I know how difficult it can be to love someone with mental illness. I wish you well on your journey with your wife.



.