Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Twenty miles in the RAIN

It was dark and cold when I began my run just before 7:00 AM. Oh, and it was raining. It wasn't a hard rain, more of a misting, thick rain. Puck and I did a 6 mile loop through the woods. There is almost nothing I enjoy more than watching Puck race freely through the trees. His obvious joy makes me very happy. I figured the rain would subside by the time the sun came up. But as I dropped Puck at home, it only rained harder.

I added some dry mittens over my thin gloves. A warm, dry headband soon followed. It didn't matter. By 10 miles I was soaked. The rain played with me throughout my run. Sometimes it rained hard, other times it threatened to quit. But quit it never did. By mile fourteen, as I turned even further from home, I could only chuckle. Running 20 miles alone was difficult enough. Adding the cold, soaking rain certainly heightened the challenge.

But I am a runner, and I did it. I reached 20 miles one block from home. I finished with cold hands, sloshing shoes, and soaked clothes. I was wet to the bone. I bought ice for my typical post-run ice bath, but I just couldn't do it today. My warm shower and fuzzy sweats were just too inviting. I joined Puck for our after run nap. Nice. I'm proud of myself. It was a good day.

No comments:



.