Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, December 3, 2009

everything but running

We got our first dusting of snow overnight. I love running in the snow, although I'm not thrilled about the cold. I went indoors last night, rode the stationary bike and lifted weights at the gym. I swam on Sunday and plan to swim again today. I do hate getting into that pool when it's cold outside. Those first moments are always chilly. My leg feels a lot better though, so I'm going to continue resting it for a few more days.

I had to take Puck to the vet on Tuesday. He's had a small, round, hard bump inside his mouth for the past couple months. It was almost between two of his front bottom teeth. I figured he got something stuck between his teeth, had some inflammation, and it would eventually pass. It didn't. Unfortunately, the vet said it could be a tumor. He sedated Puck, excised the bump and sent it off to the University of Minnesota lab for analysis. Of course, I'm worried. The vet said he'd call me with the results "in a few days." Say a little prayer for my boy if you are so inclined. Thanks.

I had my chat with my assistant at work yesterday. As expected, she was more interested in rationalizing her faulty techniques than she was in listening to feedback. There was unnecessary tension throughout the office afterward. I've been replaying what I said and how I could have said it better ever since the chat. I could have, should have, been more directive than I was. We'll see if anything changes. I hope so. I don't want to have to do this again.

I'm off to do some online Christmas shopping before jumping in the pool.
May the sun warmly shine within your heart throughout the day. Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

Shattered said...

I found your blog today and I have enjoyed reading. I share your love of running and I also share your depression diagnosis. You are an excellent writer! Take care.

Eva said...

All best to you, Etta! And prayers for Puck. Good to be so militant about exercise when you battle depression. I think this is the one thing that's falling off in my life, and I've got to get back on track. It helps me fight depression.



.