Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Back in the swing of things...mostly.

I returned to work yesterday. Finally. The patient I was worried about was still there. He was weak and in a bit more pain, but he smiled a wide smile when I walked in. We held hands and chatted for a few minutes. He's a very peaceful, serene, and humble man. I think that's why I feel so connected to him. He's mastered what it is I'm striving to master--serenity and humility. He is what I strive to be. I will not soon forget him once he's gone.

It was nice to see all of my patients again. I felt so out of touch with where they were at in their rehabilitation. Some had progressed amazingly. Others had slid backwards slightly. I had a lot of paperwork to catch up on, which was probably a good thing as it decreased my caseload for the day. I think I'd have been really tired if I'd had to see my usual number of patients. All in all, it was good to be back.

Speaking of work, I still haven't heard about the job for which I interviewed on Christmas Eve. That's probably not a good sign. I think they are hoping to get a less experienced applicant whom they wouldn't have to pay as much. That's the feeling I'm getting anyway. Out of my control now, but I do wish they would at least call.

My lungs are definitely feeling better. I'm still short of breath with activity, though, so exercise has not been at the top of my list. At least I've been eating better. I set up some new goals for exercise and eating. One of the goals is to stop snacking after 8:00 PM. I've been doing a lot of late night munching lately. I think being more aware of what I'm eating, and when, will help me a lot. It's helped already by giving me back a sense of control. I'll let you know how it goes.

That's all I've got for now. Have a great day! Here's one of favorite quotes to send you on your way: We make a life by what we get. We make a living by what we give. --Winston Churchill

1 comment:

Krystal said...

Love that quote by Winston Churchill. That is neat to hear about your patient and his humility. I too strive for this quality, as well as patience. . . Glad you are feeling better. And on the job, I am just recalling the first job I interviewed for after college, they waited six weeks before calling me to tell me I got the job. Just some mix-up with HR or something like that. Anyway, you have the right attitude about it either way it goes. Best! Krystal



.