Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Still feeling poorly

I've now missed a week and a half of work due to this pneumonia. I thought I'd go back yesterday, but after showering and getting ready, I was having a hard time breathing and feeling lightheaded. I called my doctor, and she asked me to come in.

Turns out I still had a slight fever, and I wasn't getting oxygen into my lower lungs. We took a chest x-ray, which was essentially normal, but my oxygen saturation (the amount of oxygen in my blood) was only 92-94%. I'm normally at 99-100 percent. My doctor had me do a nebulizer treatment and added another antibiotic to the one I'm already taking. The nebulizer opened up my lungs, although it made me even more lightheaded, and I was able to breathe a lot better within a few hours.

I feel guilty about missing so much work. I am the only PT at my rural facility, and it's challenging for my boss to find a substitute when I'm gone. I'm also concerned because I have a patient who is dying. He's a very special man who has grabbed a piece of my heart. I want to spend some time with him before he dies. I'd be very sad if he passed before I could make it back to work. I'm planning to return to work tomorrow. I really hope I feel well enough to do so.

Besides work, my life is suffering because of this damn pneumonia! It's been so cold that I haven't dared walk outside with Puck--both for his sake and mine. I know my lungs couldn't handle it, and I'm not sure about Puck's feet, either.

My inability to exercise has caused my weight to shoot upward. I'm now heavier than I've ever been, again. It was only one month ago that I was shedding pounds. UGH! It's going to take a lot of work to regain my fitness and my shape.

My house has also suffered. It is a mess. I'm going to try to work on that problem today. I was able to do a couple loads of laundry yesterday. That helped a little bit. Hopefully, I'll find enough energy to do a little cleaning between naps today. I know I'll feel better if my house is in order.

The bottom line? Don't get pneumonia! Seriously, I do feel better today. I hope I am finally on the mend. I'd really like to get my life back!

1 comment:

Clueless said...

((((((etta))))))

I know how frustrated I was when I got pneumonia last year in March. I actually almost died and was in the hospital for 7 days.

Once I felt a little better, I still wasn't able to do much...showering was not even safe without my husband or a chair.

I know you will recover, but I am still having some issues with my health that have kept me inactive all year. This has caused me to gain 60 pounds!!! I am which is 50 pounds heavier than I have ever been in my life.

It has been so frustrating and needing to purchase new clothes for ever rising sizes including from a barely A cup to a DD!!!!

Take care and be gentle with yourself!!

CC



.