Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Freaking out just a little bit

When I volunteered to speak about gratitude for my AA group's anniversary celebration, I had no idea how difficult the topic would be! I've been working most of the day on a 15 minute speech, for crying out loud! And I'm freaking out just a bit! I've finally got something put together, but I'm not thrilled with it. So I'm pretty nervous about speaking tomorrow night. In fact, I can't wait until it's over!

The other focus of my day was working out. We're getting into the middle weeks of our training now, and the workouts are certainly heating up. Yesterday we did a "brick," which was a 50 minute spin class followed by 20 minutes of fast running. Today I ran outside for 50 minutes and then went to the gym for the strength and ab portion of the program. My legs are tired! Actually, my whole body is tired. Tomorrow, thankfully, I've only got a 50 minute bike ride, and then it's on to a jam packed weekend.

Well, I'm off to practice my speech one more time. I know whatever happens, it will be okay. I couldn't be speaking to a more forgiving audience. I have to try to remember that tomorrow night. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

jules said...

Hey Etta,

I've just started reading your blog after taking up running to help my depression. Running is the thing that helps me the most, but I haven't been able to do it for a long time due to injuries. I have had some physio and have sorted it out so I can finally run pain free!



Keep up the good work and hope your speech goes well :)

Best

Jules

Ps. Just imagine the audience naked and you'll be fine ;)



.