Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

From a position of health

I've received a few comments recently thanking me for focusing my blog on recovery--not just illness. I really appreciate those comments, as I focused on getting better for a reason. There is so much to complain about when dealing with mental illness--terrible stigma, inequitable insurance coverage, discrimination at work, misunderstanding of family and friends, lack of support, financial hardship, loneliness; the list goes on. But to write a blog filled with complaints was never my goal. Education, yes. Support, yes. Inspiration, yes. A blog filled with complaint? Definitely not.

That's not to say I haven't complained here. I certainly have. But as my therapist pointed out a few weeks ago, "I think the blog has benefited you because you write from a position of health." That was a great observation.

This blog has benefited me more than I ever thought possible. After all, I thought I was writing to benefit all of you. But her observation of writing "from a position of health" was revealing. I guess doing so was sort of an unconscious decision I had made. So her comment was really nice to hear.

As I said, when I began this thing I set goals of supporting the afflicted, educating others, and reducing stigma. Complaining about how horrible my life was would not, in my opinion, have accomplished those goals. Besides that, it would have been terribly boring to read!

I'd like people to leave this space enlightened, interested, and wanting to return. I'd like those of us with mental illness to feel supported and understood. I'd like runners (athletes) to see another side of their friends and competitors. As with my life, I hope this blog is about living with, rather than suffering from, mental illness. I'm glad some of you appreciate that. Thanks.

4 comments:

Maggie Beth said...

Etta ~ I always leave here enlightened and interested; and I always return.

I am grateful I found your blog. I follow you publicly on mine.

Peace to you ~ Maggie Beth

etta said...

Thank you, Maggie Beth, thank you.

Mohican said...

Indeed, your therapist made an excellent point. It's too easy for blogs like this to turn into a "pity party". Although I have no interest in running, I almost always get something out of reading your posts. Thanks!

etta said...

Don't worry, Mohican. I'm going to make you a runner yet!



.