Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, February 8, 2010

More plagiarism

This plagiarism bullshit has really got me down. Thanks to my loyal reader, commenter, and all around smart person, Mohican, I now know that I am being copied by another site. So if you are reading this on a site titled Depression and Anxiety at Depressiono.com, you are reading blatantly plagiarized material. This is etta at Depression Marathon, and I am the actual author. Unbelievable.

Thanks again to Mohican, I've written another e-mail to the administrator of the offending website asking him to cease and desist. I've heard nothing so far. For those of you who didn't read yesterday's comments, I did succeed in getting the Alaska Psychiatry site to remove my material. In fact, they removed all of the other bloggers' material, too. Now the site appears to be about UFO's. Very strange.

Mohican, again, has suggested some ways I can protect myself in the future. If I can figure out how to implement those suggestions, I certainly will. I've already made one change, and I apologize to those of you who are used to reading my entire post via a feed. I've now changed my feed to a short form, which means you've had to click through to my site in order to finish reading this post. I'm sorry, but it may help protect my posts from being stolen in the future.

Like I said, this whole experience has really gotten me down. It sucks. I just wanted to run my little blog here, but unfortunately there are some unethical, character-less people in this world. I wish those people had never discovered this blog! No worries, though, I'll continue trudging along.

9 comments:

Borderline Lil said...

This is SO unfair. I'm sympathetic and annoyed for you, as you said all you want is to write your own blog in peace and not have it stolen. I hope this stops!

Mohican said...

Dayum you are good! depressiono.com is gone! What do you say to these people??? He might just be laying low for a while, but at least today the website is shutdown.

etta said...

Oh Mohican! I'm so glad you're back! Do you think it is shut down? Or do you think he's just restricted access to ISP's from the US?
I did complain to his web hosting company in Lithuania--perhaps they take these things more seriously than most? I also made a formal complaint to Google, although I doubt they've had time to do anything yet.
I'm hoping this dude just developed a little character, or decided it wasn't worth it, but his other sham site is still up and fully active! Oh well...

jen said...

Love your site Etta,new follower since Dec. I think what's happened is terrible. I tried that fake site and it really is closed down.Some people.....

Mohican said...

I read this blog because your experience of depression is so different from mine. After reading this post, I realized that what was fun for me was just a very irritating intrusion for you. "Overwhelming" is the perfect word. I would feel that way attempting to get up at 5 in the morning to work out. I feel that way sometimes just trying to go food shopping.

Anyway, I tried to connect to depressiono using an east European proxy and it failed, so he's probably just decided that it isn't worth the trouble. He's lucky to get one hit a day on that site. Just as well, because I can't find any way to get to the htaccess file on a blogspot blog - only wordpress seems to have it. I think you can put this out of your mind now and concentrate on getting that new job or running or whatever. Ciao.

etta said...

Mohican, you make me smile. I wish I knew my way around the internet like you. I'm very envious. And I totally get how this was a fun challenge for you (I'm so glad!!), while it was an incredibly stressful, demoralizing intrusion for me. Our differences make us each unique and special. I'm glad your differences complemented mine on this occasion! I wish I had something more to offer you in return. All I can do is say, "Thank you," once again. I am so, so grateful for your help and expertise.

etta said...

Welcome aboard, Jen! Thanks for visiting!

Blog Angel a.k.a. Joella said...

Etta, I found this post while I was searching for links to add to a series of posts I just finished on blog plagiarism. I too was recently the victim of blog content theft and was caught totally unawares. It was a real learning experience, painful, but very revealing

You should check out the advice and free tools I reviewed on my blog.
Blog Plagiarism - Discourage, Detect & Respond
Thank you for sharing your story. Too many legitimate bloggers are being hurt by the unscrupulous and unethical. We need to stand up like you did. Good going!

etta said...

Thanks, Blog Angel. I'm glad you found me. I'll definitely check out your site.



.