Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

It's Valentine's Day. As far as I'm concerned, it's a Hallmark holiday created to sell cards, flowers, gifts and expensive dinners. But maybe I'm a little jaded. Having been single for about 8 years now, it's been a long time since Valentine's Day meant anything to me. But I'm thinking about it, so I thought I'd write about it.

Actually, I like being single. There are many advantages to having my time all to myself. But being half of a pair has advantages, too. The one thing I do miss about being in a couple is hearing, "I love you." I make a habit of telling Puck I love him every single day. I say it aloud every time I leave home, just as I did with my ex. Unfortunately, he hasn't learned to speak words yet, so it's not something he can reciprocate. His tail, as my friend Cindy reminds me, speaks volumes, however.

Puck and I had some quality Valentine time together this morning. We had a very nice, crisp, sunny 4.5 mile run. We've both been missing our running time together, as this triathlon program has taken me into different activities. Unlike Puck, I think my body appreciates less running and more variety. The long time aches and pains in my calves and right knee have improved since triathlon training began. It's nice to run without pain, just as I did this morning. And now that my run is done, the rest of the day calls for rest and relaxation! Whoopee!

So that's what I'm about to do. I'm at the home of my friends, Bill and Cindy, enjoying breakfast in their brand new kitchen, listening to Prairie Home Companion, and generally being lazy. Hope you all have a day filled with laziness and love, too.

No comments:



.