Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Following up on the plagiarism

If you're a regular here, you may have already noticed a few additions to my site. With the kind assistance of Blog Angel's very informative three part series on plagiarism, I was able to add several protections to my site. These protections don't guarantee that another idiot won't scrape my material again, but hopefully I've taken steps to make it a little more difficult.

I spent three hours this morning researching and then applying these steps. First, I finally got myself a Creative Commons License which delineates exactly what others can and can't do with my work. Then I added my blog to My Free Copyright.com. My free copyright is a free service where you can register your blog. Once registered, My Free Copyright uses my feed to create a digital fingerprint of my content and e-mails it back to me. By doing this, I have a third party dating and time stamping my original content. (I'm not a techie, so I suggest you check out the site for a much better explanation!) Lastly, I began using a service called Tynt Insight. Tynt Insight automatically adds a link back to my original content with every paste. As I understand it, if somebody copies and pastes material from this blog into their own sham blog, my material will be linked back to my blog, which identifies me as the author. Sounds too cool to work, doesn't it? I'm amazed what people can do with computer code! So that's it. That's what I've done so far. Hopefully, these steps will protect me from having to deal with unethical jerks again!

4 comments:

Blog Angel a.k.a. Joella said...

Etta,

I stand up and applaud you for taking action. Part of the reason so much blog plagiarism takes place is that so many of us buy into the lie that there is nothing we can do about it. We should never allow ourselves to feel powerless. It's dehumanizing and self-defeating. You are an inspiration in so many ways.

My thanks also for mentioning Blogs With Wings. I was so glad that my advice was helpful. Have an awesome day.

Mohican said...

Wow, very cool. I didn't know about that stuff. You did your homework well. I especially like Tynt, very very interesting.

Now come on, wasn't that a lot of fun and don't you feel better?

Gotta go run a 5K now. HAHAHAHAHAHA! Actually I have a lot of television watching to do. Priorities, you know. :-)

Divas said...

I'm sorry anyone was taking your content. Obviously, it shows that your words mean something important! Thanks for the heads up. I definitely will keep those links saved in case I need to use them, too!

Kat said...

Thank you, Etta, for sharing these resources. I will be looking into using them with my blog. It would be so upsetting for me to see someone stealing my words and ideas.

Thank you!
Kat
LiftMyDepression.com



.