Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I'm craving ice cream!

Did I ever tell you I live one half block from the Dairy Queen? For those of you unaware, DQ is a yummy ice cream shop. Looking left from my front porch, I can see the lines of people waiting for their delectable treats. On a nice, sunny, warm spring day like today, the lines can be 20 people deep. Only one half block separates me from the treat I so ardently crave today! But I'm trying to cut back on my treats. Even with all the working out I've been doing, I still feel heavy on my feet. But those treats are calling...

Today was a rest day. I slept late. I did my taxes. I saw my therapist. I napped. I went to the dentist. I ran 45 minutes. That's it.

It's funny. I'm so used to doing multiple workouts each day, I feel like I'm missing something today. This is the first week of tapering. We dropped down from 9 hours of workouts last week to 7.5 hours this week. Next week will only be 6 hours. I'll probably really feel lazy then!

I am going to miss the structure of this program once the triathlon is done. Having been an athlete most of my life, I think I thrive under the tutelage of others. Tell me what to do, and I will do it. I like being coached. I'm more motivated, and I follow through when I have to be accountable to somebody else. I don't think it's an accident that my mental health has improved since triathlon training began. Structure is good for me.

I'm going to try to stick with the structure after we officially finish this class. I hope I'm able to follow through on my own because I'm tentatively planning to participate in an outdoor tri in June (if this indoor triathlon goes okay). There will be ten weeks between the two events. I'm planning on re-doing weeks three through twelve of the current program, although the outdoor triathlon is longer and will require the addition of more miles and time. But I'm trying not to think too much about that yet. I've got to get through this initial endeavor first.

Hmmm... I'm still craving ice cream...

3 comments:

Maggie Beth said...

One half block from DQ?! ~ Girl! Please! I am sitting in my living room right now ~ looking into the dining room at the DQ! I could throw my desk lamp in there!

~ Just so you know I personally believe I put the QUEEN in the DQ!

Seriously, ETTA!!! As hard as you have been working out ~ go get a kiddie cone! NO WAIT! Get two! Throw one on the ground for Puck then sit down and lick away!!! GOD knows you have earned some ice cream!!!! Treat yourself!

~ Maggie Beth ~ The QUEEN of the DQ~

etta said...

OMG, Maggie Beth!! I would weigh 300 pounds! Thank God my DQ is at least closed for a couple months in the winter. I get a short repreive.

And a kiddie cone? Are you kidding me? That's the problem. I can't just have a kiddie cone! I'd at least have to have a Buster Bar, and that's only if I can combat the magnetic pull of the pecan cluster Blizzard!

Thanks for your very entertaining comment!

Divas said...

I live 2 blocks from DQ and run right by it sometimes, 2-3 times! LOL!
I generally can resist the temptation, but I've got a quart of ice cream in the fridge right now that is calling . . .



.