Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

No shortcut

Great benefits come from the small shifts that move us into new directions.--Baron Baptiste

It looks like a gray day is arising here in southern Minnesota. The squirrels are playing in my yard. Fortunately, Puck is sound asleep, otherwise he'd be a little nuts (no pun intended). He's not a fan of squirrels in his yard.

The squirrels are running around looking confused. I found some nuts hidden near the concrete back steps yesterday. The steps are gone now. I crushed them with my handy sledge hammer in preparation for my back patio being built. If you ever want to feel really powerful, take a sledge hammer to some crush-able concrete! I highly recommend it.

I'm up watching SportsCenter, drinking my coffee, preparing for my day. Since beginning the triathlon training program, I haven't been able to sleep much later than 5:00 AM, nor stay awake much later than 8:00 PM. Pretty boring, but it works for me right now.

My triathlon workouts are going well. Yesterday I swam intervals for 2400 yards. That's 96 lengths of the pool. Doesn't that sound impressive? Actually, I was pleasantly surprised, because this same workout was a lot more difficult a few weeks ago. It's always nice when workouts get easier. After crushing my back steps and taking my daily nap, I returned to the gym to complete the strength training portion of my workout. Even the strength training felt easier yesterday.

Today I'll be out (looks like the sun is breaking through the clouds) on my bike for an hour. After hopping off the bike, I'll run for 20 minutes. I tweaked my achilles tendon during the last ten feet of Tuesday's run, so I'm anxious to see how it feels today. I pray it will be okay. Ahhh, who am I kidding? Unless I'm on crutches, nothing will stop me from doing the triathlon at this point. It's only two weeks from today!

Two weeks. I can't wait to see how this all turns out. It's been a long road. But then again, isn't that what makes it all worthwhile? The journey is the destination, right? Baron Baptiste, in his book 40 Days to a Personal Revolution, says, "The inner revolution of growth is about passing through fires. ...there is no shortcut to achieving skill." Amen.

5 comments:

Luke at Beat Depression said...

Another great post. I bet when you were first diagnosed with depression all those years ago you couldn't imagine doing what you do today. I am going on 6 years now and am still struggling day to day. The littlest things seem be able to derail the best intentions. At this point in time all the drugs and therapy in the world can't change the fact that I just need to drag my butt out the front door and do something...anything. Maybe not a marathon quite yet :) Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

what happens at the end of your training? is there a tri coming up or an indoor tri or something? I noticed the pool was closed for like 5 hours on the 11th.

~Leslie (F.O.R.)

etta said...

Keep it up, Luke! You can do it!

Leslie, the answer to your question is an indoor tri on April 11th. Come cheer us on!

Maggie Beth said...

Isn't it wonderful seeing the person you have grown into?! You should be "CRAZY!" proud!! ~ (((SMILE!)))

On the rare occasions I read old journal posts I wrote during my depression, I am often heart-broken by the sadness of "this person" ~ I am so glad I loved her enough to fight like hell and rescue her ~ She deserved it! And I am an amazingly strong woman because I did it! I am glad she is now gone...but I am greatful for her, because she made me who I am. ~

AGAIN! Congratulations on A L L you have achieved.

etta said...

"On the rare occasions I read old journal posts I wrote during my depression, I am often heart-broken by the sadness of "this person" ~ I am so glad I loved her enough to fight like hell and rescue her ~ She deserved it! And I am an amazingly strong woman because I did it! I am glad she is now gone...but I am greatful for her, because she made me who I am."

What a beautiful sentiment, Maggie Beth. You just described the meaning behind my blog, too!

Congratulations to YOU!



.