Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Working and working out

I'm feeling tired today. I am right in the middle of my triathlon training program, and I'm scheduled for 9 hours of workouts this week, 9.5 next week, and 9 more the following week. From that point, the workouts decrease as I get closer to triathlon day. So I'm feeling tired.

As my time working out has increased, fitting the workouts in around work has become more difficult. Yesterday I biked before work, at 5:30 AM, and did the strength circuit at 8 PM. I got a quick nap in after work. Tomorrow will be similar. I have an hour of swimming intervals before work and then the strength circuit again afterward. The current schedule calls for at least 1.5 to 2 hours of training each day. No wonder I'm feeling tired.

Fortunately, all this training does seem to be making a difference. I'm re-discovering muscles I haven't seen since college volleyball! My jeans fit better, and I believe I can see some abdominal muscles again! I've also noticed I'm tolerating the workouts better. That is, I can go faster and longer while using less energy than I did a few weeks ago. This all makes feeling tired right now a little more tolerable. The training seems to be working.

So far my work has not suffered from my workout fatigue, but I'm getting a little nervous that it will soon. Getting up at 4:30ish, working out, driving 50 minutes to work, working 8 hours, driving 50 minutes home, and then working out again is getting a little overwhelming. Yet, I'm doing it so far. That continues to surprise me. Hopefully, I can maintain until we start tapering. Boy am I looking forward to that!

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~T.S. Eliot

2 comments:

Catpriestess said...

This is my first time commenting on your blog and I want to say thank you for being so open about your challenges and blessings we face. I have BP II and am really so in awe of you fitting everything in, esp. in lieu of the darkness that can overwhelm and stop us from our goals. Thank god for animals, I don't know where I would be without my cats. Be proud of yourself and keep on going, I'll be cheering for you in the bandstand.

Patrick McCrann said...

Missing a workout is tough, but sometimes things are out of our control. Know that having a day to recover is just another chance to crush your next workout -- it's certainly not a step backwards!



.