Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Meds

I took these pictures while organizing my meds the other day. Why? I guess it was a reminder. Without my medications (including my allergy meds), I wouldn't be doing as well as I am today.

I do a lot of things to keep myself healthy--physically and mentally. I go to bed early. I get up around the same time every day. I exercise a lot. I eat well...for the most part. I work on my sobriety and attend my AA meetings. I spend time with friends. I try to keep balance in my life. It's a 24-hour-per-day job.

Unlike some others on the web, I'll never reject the need for my medication. A few may call this sad, stupid, or "brain-washed" (one of my favorites). I call it reality.I am alive and well today because of all the work I've done, including the work I've done with my psychiatrist, and my willingness to take my meds as prescribed. It's been a team effort, and it's worked well for me.

1 comment:

Maggie Beth said...

Etta, more than once I have said a "Thank You ~ God" prayer for the gifted people, who work hard on research and medications, so that I can function happily in my life. To those who judge you, simply smile sweetly and say, "Chill. Pill."

You are the only one living YOUR life ~ be true to you!



.