Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Misunderstood Epidemic: Depression

I'm watching an amazing program on PBS right now called The Misunderstood Epidemic: Depression. The film is by Susan Polis Schutz, a fellow sufferer of depression. It follows 12 people and families who have dealt with depression. There's a woman here talking about losing her physical therapy job. There's a family discussing the death of their daughter. There's a woman talking about the dilemma of dating. These people are speaking my language! How incredibly refreshing to see me, my life, portrayed so accurately on television. Check your local PBS affiliate, as many stations are apparently replaying this film multiple times.

6 comments:

Wendy Love said...

Sounds interesting. I will have to look that up and see when it comes on my own PBS station. You never know when one of those documentaries can bring a wee bit of new light on the topic. Even if it just makes us feel a little less alone, and a little more understood, it is worthwhile. Thanks for sharing that.

Divas said...

How ironic. I flipped past PBS and the screen was blank so I figured the channel was out. I will definitely look this up and see when my local chan will air it.

Anonymous said...

I am 61 years old and have been suffering from depression most of my life. A lot of that time not knowing what was wrong with me. I was absolutely amazed watching this program. So many of the people were telling MY story. It is so hard to explain this illness to anyone. I can't wait for this to be available for purchase.

CutistRawFoodist said...

I stumbled upon this show. It felt like Divine Intervention! The one woman who spoke of leaving her husband and kids and wanting to run away to Africa sounded so much like me that I just started sobbing in front of my own husband. It was like she was in my head!
I finally realize that I've been suffering from depression all these years. Thank you PBS!!

Hip said...

Here is an angle on the cause of the depression epidemic that probably very few people here will have even considered: it may be caused by an infectious virus.

I myself caught a virus (that also spread around my social connections), and without any doubt, precipitated mental state change in many of those who caught it. Increased susceptibly to stress occurred in many of the infectees. Fatigue, lethargy and depression were also common, as were increased memory problems.

For those interested in this, see here:
Depression Virus

Viruses in Perspective


I suspect that this virus I caught is a new enterovirus. Enteroviruses are very hard to detect once they have formed a long term infection in the host.

etta said...

It seems people are always looking for other reasons for the cause of depression. I'm not sure why that is. I certainly agree that a virus, which causes fatigue and lethargy, could also result in depression; just as MS, cancer, or any other debilitating illness can result in depression. Whatever the reason, situational or organic, I hope this blog helps people deal with their depression as best they can.



.