Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A quick note

Just a brief note to say hello on another beautiful Minnesota day! Gorgeous--sunny, 70 degrees, cool breeze, blooming trees, singing birds...you get the idea. Makes me happy to be a Minnesotan--this is why we suffer through the winter here.

I had a great workout today. I drove south of the city to a small town and a bike trail along the river. I took a 22 mile bike ride along the trail, uphill most of the way back, and then ran for 22 minutes. It was tough, but I felt strong, and I felt really good about completing it. I'll take it a bit easier the next few days, as I think I'm going to run a 15K race this weekend.

After my workout, I did one of my favorite things to do. I had a homemade burger and fries at the town's little diner. There is nothing better than a diner burger and fries after a tough workout. And I love these local places where the regulars don't even require a menu. It was quaint, and the food hit the spot. Next time I'll have to invite my foodie, triathlete, friend Renee along for the ride, run and bite.

I'm on my way out the door to a presentation about WWII by a local man who experienced it. Tonight we're covering the European theater and next Wednesday the Pacific. I'm a bit of a WWII buff, so I'm really looking forward to this. That being said, I must take off now. Afterward, my mom has promised me apple crisp!

I leave you with this thought: Fear is never a reason for quitting; it is only an excuse.--Norman Vincent Peale

No comments:



.