Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Getting back to it

I finally managed to pull myself out of bed long enough to get out of my house today. I'm still feeling poorly, but I've recovered enough to head back into civilization.

I went to my AA meeting this morning. It was nice to see my sponsor and good to be around like-minded souls for an hour. My sponsor approached me before the meeting and said, "I know you're feeling poor physically, but how's this?" She was pointing to her head. How refreshing--she was worried about my mood. I was impressed. Maybe that doesn't seem like a big deal to those of you without depression, but it was a big deal. In that one statement, she recognized and acknowledged that illness can, and often does, impact my mood. Fortunately, I've been able to keep the depression monster at bay up to this point. It was nice to be able to report that, and it was just as nice that she asked the question.

After my meeting, I walked over to my gym for a swim. But when I got there, a cable strengthening class was just about to begin, so I jumped in. I wasn't sure if I would be able to handle it, but after 45 minutes I was still standing. I swam for 30 minutes after that. I was really tired once I finished, but I was also really satisfied with the effort. It felt good to be on my feet moving my body again. Needless to say, all I could do once I got home was nap, and that's exactly what I did. Ahhhhh...

My productive day continued with laundry, vacuuming, and generally cleaning up my messy house. Tonight, I've got dinner and a movie with friends. I'm not sure how social I'll be, but it will be a nice end to a pretty good day.

1 comment:

Divas said...

Hope you enjoyed the evening!



.