Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, May 10, 2010

Let's go Golfing!

So what if it's 45 degrees, gray, blowing, and soon to be very wet! I've got the first of four golf lessons tonight. Because I don't have enough to do, right?! Well, it will be fun. I'm going with my step-dad. Until last year, he hadn't golfed in 20 years. Me? I'm a beginner. I had some lessons about 6-7 years ago, but then I didn't play until last year, so I forgot most of what I'd learned. I'm looking forward to learning the correct way to play, despite the weather.

I'm feeling better. Still a little off, still need lots of sleep, and now I have a nasty cough, but my congestion has cleared up. Yesterday I overdid it. I rode a really hilly bike workout for 50 minutes. Immediately afterward I crashed! My muscles ached. I felt feverish. I got a stabbing headache. I guess my body wasn't quite ready for that level of effort yet. I went straight to bed--after taking some Advil--and that helped so much that I was able to go for a slow 20 minute run later in the evening. Puck was thrilled with that.

Puck still has me concerned. I wonder if he doesn't have arthritis in his feet. Over the past week, he limped on one leg for a few days and then limped on another for a few days after that. I've upped his arthritis med, and today he seems to be walking equally on all four. But he's not himself. Any exercise leaves him sore, yet he goes stir crazy without exercise. I just don't know what to do. Damn, I wish he could talk!

Work went well today. I'm getting used to all the paperwork, but it's still a lot to remember. My mood seems to be okay, too, despite the stress of being sick and learning a new job. I'm hanging in there. I hope you are, too.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Yes, hanging in there.
I took golf lessons once some years ago. They told me I'd be better at baseball! :) Good to do it with your stepdad. Hope thats a good experience for you!
You sure do push yourself physically. Of course, you know your body best though.
Sorry to hear your dog is struggling. It is a struggle when they get older and want to be physical but just can't keep going. Poor thing.
Take care of you, and Puck!

Rapid Drug Detox said...

Best of luck to you. Thanks for sharing!



.