Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Long workout, lazy day

Today was the running of our local marathon, but I was out doing a marathon workout of my own. Just as the runners were getting started miles away, I was hopping on my bike for a 34.4 mile ride. I had hoped to ride it in 90 minutes, but it was very hilly for the first 20 miles, and we all know I suck on hills, so it took me 1:50 to finish. I followed the ride with a 35 minute run. My legs were very tired! But it was a great workout. In total, I covered almost 40 miles in just under 2.5 hours.

After showering, I hoofed it to the marathon finish line to cheer. If you ever want to be inspired, check out the finish line of a marathon. Most of my friends had already finished, but I got to chat with a few of them. Seems most had a good day.

It's been a long, slow, lazy day since I returned from the marathon. I napped, paid my bills, and watched some college softball on TV. After such busy-ness over the past few weeks, it's strange to have nothing to do. That's not entirely true, I guess. There are several things I could do, but I'm choosing not to. I'm being lazy instead.

I could go golfing, but it's really hot. I could watch some work inservice videos, but who wants to sit inside and work on a holiday weekend? I could go help my parents move into their new RV, but they might drive me crazy! Instead, I'm resting, getting a little bored, and trying to figure out what to do next. Such problems I have these days, huh?

3 comments:

Gail said...

"A flashback" was an amazingly articulate and creative description of your experience. Today was the Ottawa Marathon. The largest in the country. Those of us that did the half met for lunch later in the day. Part of our conversation was 'you'. I had shared "A Flashback"with a few of these friends earlier in the week. A number of my friends have completed several Ironman events. All agreed that you are stronger than any Ironman. It is often difficult for me to explain the illness of depression to friends. They want to understand but if you haven't experienced it the mystery remains. Your words were so descriptive and comical and sad and uplifting all at once. You really should write a book!

etta said...

Wow, Gail...Thank you!

I'm glad my words helped you communicate with your friends, and I am truly humbled by YOUR words.

Thank you.

Jennifer, aka beautiful mind, complex life said...

We have an Ironman event every year, I think, here in Clearwater, FL. I'm very impressed by athletes like you who can accomplish such amazing feats!



.