Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, May 24, 2010

Starting the week

A new week begins. I'm ready to go, drinking my coffee, watching SportsCenter, waiting for 8:30 when I can see my first patient just two blocks from my home. I love that.

I finished a long week yesterday by working 8 hours at Mayo--my weekend on-call position--and then attempting an 80 minute run in 90 degree heat and humidity. I say attempted because my legs were dead and the heat oppressive! Wow! I think it was just last week when we had several days in the 40's! I didn't quite make 80 minutes. I was done after sixty four.

But wait, I have an even better reason than the heat for coming up short! On Saturday, I had a three workout day. I started with the usual cable class strength workout. An hour later, on a very windy day, I was on my bike. After 20 miles, I jumped off the bike and ran 4 miles. Despite feeling shredded, I was pretty pleased with my effort. It was a tough workout, and I did it. I feel like I'm getting ready for the triathlon, which is now just one month away.

I'm hoping things settle down a little bit this week. I don't think I can handle many more days of high stress. I worry about my mood taking a hit if things stay so busy. Fortunately, I have 1-2 fewer workouts scheduled this week, as I start counting down to the race. Unfortunately, work is going to be very busy. Since I still feel very, very new, work already feels stressful. I've got to cut myself some slack, I think, and be okay with questions and mistakes. To keep my mood in check, I've got to keep putting one foot in front of the other and pray for a little serenity this week. If I start feeling out of whack, you'll hear it here first, as this will be the first place I look for solace. Thank you all for that.

2 comments:

Gail said...

Don't know if you can feel positive vibes across the border but I am directing positive energy in your direction. I am just recently feeling myself after two years of being out of balance. I really value your Blog and your willingness to share your experiences. I am still in fear of sliding back into that dark world. Reading your chronology and seeing there are ups and downs but the downs are always followed by ups is reassuring. I find your are an incredibly strong woman. You are certainly balancing a huge load right now. Good luck with your triathlon season. And, remember you are the only one who expects 'you' to be perfect!

Anonymous said...

One day at a time go you through last week! My husband rode on Saturday down to Chatfield and said it was wicked. What triathalon are you training for?

~Leslie



.