Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Finished.

I did it. I finished my first outdoor triathlon. The swim (1500 meters or 0.93 miles) was as ugly as it could get. I believe I was one of the last 3-5 people out of the water. But I made it around the lake, twice.

The bike (24.8 hilly miles) was great. It felt fast. I passed a lot of people. The run (6.2 miles) was tough, but doable. I passed a lot of people on the run, too.

I was as grateful as grateful can be to finish, especially after the ugly swim. I had lots of people there supporting me, which was very cool. And of course I thought of all you blogosphere fans, too, especially when I contemplated dropping out during the swim. It was nice to feel all of the support. Thank you.

My final time was under 3 hours, and that makes me pleased. I think that's not too bad for a first attempt.

I'll write more about the whole experience later. Right now, it's time for a nap.

7 comments:

Maggie Beth said...

Etta ~ So excited for you! I thought of you about 1:00 your time! and wondered how things went. SOO EXCITED!!!

Just think ~ It is done and done!!! and they didn't let you drawn! (WINK!)

Maggie Beth

Kelly said...

congratulations! very brave and strong of you to go through with the swim and finish! Hurray!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! The fact that you were able to make up time and have a final time you are pleased with is great.

~Leslie

NOS said...

Wow! Congratulations, Etta! Finishing a triathlon is QUITE an accomplishment. And you made it through the swim. Hopefully that gives you confidence for future swims.

Wishing you well,
NOS

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB!! sm

Dawn said...

Hi there. I pop in to check on you every now and again and don't usually say anything. This time I have to say that finishing under 3 hours for your first tri is something I would have been VERY happy to do! I did mine in under 3:30 (back in 2004) and was very happy with that. My swim was my weakest event and it took me more than 50 minutes to complete it. But I was happy to have done it. As a fellow alcoholic, I know how it is to not feel like you did well enough or to beat yourself up. Sometimes you need to learn to give yourself credit when you accomplish things though. There are so many people out there who can only dream of doing what you've done. Remember, it's about the journey. not the time it takes.

Congratulations.
Dawn

etta said...

Well said, Dawn. Thank you.



.