Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, July 12, 2010

Back home now.

I'm back home. The last couple days in Colorado were a bit long, and the drive home was, of course, very long. I apologize for not writing in quite some time, but we were very busy over the past 4-5 days. Here's the recap:

Bill and I spent most of one day fishing. I caught about 9-10 rainbow trout. We kept 5 to eat. Here's the pic of our catch. They were yummy.

We spent one entire day in Boulder. I had never been there. Too bad. What a great city! I could move there tomorrow--if I could afford to live there, that is! Yikes! Expensive! Anyway, we spent most of the day shopping on Pearl Street--very chic. I bought a very cool bike jersey that says "Girls Kick Ass," on the back. In the evening, we took the dogs to Chautauqua Park. Puck and I ran a couple miles in the "famous foothills" known as the Flatirons. After relaxing on the grass, we ate dinner in the park at the "famous" Chautauqua Dining Hall, where we sat on the huge wrap-around deck and enjoyed the night air. It was a very, very nice day. (Sorry, no pics. I was enjoying myself too much to stop for pictures.)

A couple days ago, I spent the day hiking. I went 10 miles total, ending up on the summit of Middle Bald Mountain via the Kilpecker Trail. The trail starts around 9200 feet and I ended up at 11,045 feet. That is easily the highest I've ever hiked. It was very tough. I had an amazing 360 degree view on top, so the hard work was very much worth it!
The beginning of the trail. It pretty much went straight up.

That's where I was going. This is the view looking up from around 10,400 feet.

My GPS showing the elevation, 11,028 feet, a few steps from the top.

Looking down, along the ridge, from the top.

That's all I have for now. More to come. Loved being away, but I'm also glad to be home.

4 comments:

Maggie Beth said...

Welcome Home Etta and Puck!! So glad you had a good time! SO GLAD!

NOS said...

What a beautiful view! It sounds like you had a great time on vacation-- I'm so happy for you. Welcome home!

Wishing you well,
NOS

The Depressed Reader said...

Thanks for the great hiking pics! I'm glad you had a nice time. It must have been great to be out in the clean air and beautiful weather.

Next week I will be off to climb Mt Fuji with friends for the sixth time, from the half way point, as is customary.

Then next month, for the seventh and probably final time - from the bottom. Solo. That should be tough, but a great achievement.

etta said...

Mt. Fuji! Solo! That's awesome! Good luck!



.