Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Going up north

I'm on my way north to the triathlon. My brothers and I are teaming up for a relay. My youngest brother was a state qualifying swimmer in multiple events, so he's obviously doing the swimming (0.8 miles) portion. I'm the only one with a bike, so that's my responsibility (20+ miles). And my other brother was an awesome runner--not sure how he's doing these days--so he's running (5 miles) the last leg. We're entered into the "silver" division. That means we're old! It should be fun, and I'm really looking forward to it.

It's been a long time since my brothers and I teamed up in anything. In fact, it's probably been since Little League Baseball since we've done any sporting activity together! We're not the closest family, and being the only girl of four siblings, I often end up feeling isolated from the guys. So this is actually kind of special. I hope it goes well. I think we may have a good chance of placing, but I'm going to focus on having fun and spending quality time with my brothers.

It will also be nice to be back up in my home area. I'm from the most beautiful part of Minnesota (in my humble opinion), and I miss it terribly. I almost always feel peaceful when I'm up there. Peace may be harder to come by on this trip, as I'm staying with my brother's family. Two young, very active children in a small space does not always lend itself to peaceful moments. Hopefully, I'll be able to get away for just a bit to gather my head. If I can do that, this will be a particularly good trip. Wish me luck! I'll let you know how everything turns out.

3 comments:

NOS said...

That sounds like fun! Good luck with the triathlon! And have a good time in Minnesota.

Wishing you well,
NOS

Maggie Beth said...

Good Luck! Enjoy your time with your family ~ and being "home". Hope you create some very cool memories! ~ Maggie Beth

zbsports said...

Good running post...looks the run is successful...looking forward for you next run update...:D



.