Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Running high

Just got in from a 5.3 mile run here in the mountains. At 8000 feet, 5.3 miles at 9:30 pace feels like 10 miles at 8:00 pace. It may be beautiful, but it is all work. This is the third day in a row I've gone running, which makes me feel good, but like I said, it's tough up here. The first time I went, I made it almost 4 miles, but I thought my chest was going to explode! Yesterday, I did 6 hill repeats of about 150 yards each. I'm not sure what got into me! So today was a "long" run. Ha! Oh well, at least I've been getting out there. I do feel better once I'm finished.

I'm hoping to do a little hiking with Puck today. There is a nearby peak which takes about an 1.5 hours to summit. It's a fairly simple hike, so Puck should be okay. He sure is loving it out here. He's doing very well. No injuries. In fact he almost seems stronger than when we first arrived. I love watching him romp around freely. I love hiking with him, too, so that should be fun.

My mood has been better the past couple days. Hmmm...do you think the fact that I've been running daily has anything to do with that? We've been very mellow and relaxed around here. Bill's family has left, so it's just the three of us (and the two dogs) left up here. There's been a lot of chatting, napping, laughing, eating, napping, walking, reading, and napping going on. The days have been cool and sunny. The nights have been clear and the stars incredible. I think it's going to be tough to go back home!

That's all I've got for now. After all, I think it's time for a nap! Have a peaceful day.

2 comments:

NOS said...

Nicely done on your run! I know how hard it is to exercise at high altitudes.

I'm glad Puck is doing well and that your mood has improved. It sounds like it's turning out to be a lovely vacation.

Wishing you well,
NOS

Jim76 said...

I am a fellow sufferer and relatively recent follower. Just wanted you to know how much good your blog does. I am at a place where I can't see any way out, and yet I find courage in the way you courageously fight to live and find some amount of joy in life.
Thank you for sharing!
Jim



.